A Report from General Assembly, Part 1
I have been blessed for four years now in being a commissioner to the General Assembly of our denomination, the OPC. Two years I attended as a Ruling Elder commissioner. This was my second year serving as a Teaching Elder commissioner. I have been able to serve on four different advisory committees: Statistician and Historian, Home Missions, Chaplains and Military Personnel, and Christian Education.
In addition to the weekly thought, over the next couple of weeks I want to share some of the highlights of General Assembly. I am enjoying learning more about our denomination each year, as I am able to fellowship and learn from others. Last year I did a couple of weekly thoughts merely listing the things we covered at GA. This year I want to share more about our denomination and the work that has been done over the past year, and even looking back over our 81 year history as a Church.
One of the great blessings in going to GA is to be reminded that the Church does not merely consist in a local body of Christ but that God is building His kingdom around the the globe. I always enjoy the Fraternal Addresses from brothers in other Reformed denominations. Representatives are sent to our GA to address us from around the world, and they share for 5-10 minutes about what is happening in their denomination. Next week I will share about the formal relationships we have with other denominations around the world, but this week I wanted to merely share the list of twelve addresses we were able to listen to.
- Rev. William L. Barron, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
- Rev. F. Solano Portela, Presbyterian Church of Brazil.
- Rev. E. Marvin Padgett, Presbyterian Church in America
- Rev. J. Alejandro Parada, Presbyterian Church of the Reformation of Columbia.
- Rev. Iver Martin, Free Church of Scotland.
- Rev. Lee Johnson, Reformed Church of the United States.
- Rev. Kevin M. Backus, Bible Presbyterian Church.
- Rev. Stephen Rhoda, Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America.
- Rev. Reinier Noppers, Christian Reformed Churches of Australia.
- Mr. Pierre Legault, Eglise Reformee du Quebec.
- Rev. Ralph Compton, United Reformed Churches of North America.
- Rev. Kurt Vetterli, Evangelical Reformed Church— Westminster Confession.
Next week I will share how the OPC works with these other denominations.